Creamy Turnip-Potato Purée:
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 15 minutes; Total time: 30 minutes.
· YIELD: 8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
· COURSE: Side
· 2 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
· 1 pound Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
· 2 garlic cloves, crushed
· 2 teaspoons salt
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1/4 cup light sour cream
· 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
· 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
· 2 teaspoons sugar
1. Place turnips, potatoes, and garlic in a 5-quart pot. Cover with cold water to 2 inches above the vegetables; bring to a boil. Add salt; simmer, uncovered, until tender (about 15 minutes).
2. Drain the vegetables in a colander; return to pot. Cook over medium heat to remove excess water, stirring well (about 5 minutes). Stir in the remaining ingredients; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Transfer mixture to a serving dish.